Monday, August 20, 2012

A beautiful day in the world of politics!

Today was a great day! I had the privilege of going to one of our OFA offices here in Las Vegas.. There was a huge line which brought back memories of waiting on line w/my daughter who was 5 at the time on our first trip to Disneyland! Everyone was amazing, really helpful, and good energy surrounded us on a 104+ degree day. There was a huge and very diverse and energetic group of people with one purpose: To help reelect our President Barack Obama!  We had to line up for hours, and I did something I don't normally do. I found one of the organizers to let them know I have Parkinson's and needed to get my sister's car home to her. She kindly dropped me off at the OFA office while we waited for Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Congresswoman from FL, Chairman of the DNC on top of being the mother of 13 yr old twins and an 8 yr old. She was genuine, warm, sincere and a firecracker all together while she rallied us; and we hung on her every word. While we were waiting, we had people shouting "Fired Up", we responded w/"Ready to Go", the inevitable four more years and O-ba-ma chants. What struck me was how enthused people were and how positive the discussions were with total strangers who are all in it for our President. Not a bit of "angry, hateful" conversation! There were the ubiquitous Romney supporters who looked like clones, not a person of color in their small group. We followed the high road of President Obama and just kept walking, when most of us wanted to say SOMETHING to the fools. Their signs looked as though they had been made by 5 year olds, right down to the stick figure people. One sign said, "I love my country, but my government scares me", and all I wanted to say was "Why are you voting against your own interests?", but I know I'd have been wasting my breath. I suppose the Romney supporters left feeling defeated b/c we were so civil--a behavior that escapes them! Quite a victory for our side! And the pride we all felt was amazing. For attending today, we all received free tickets to a rally the President is having here on Wed. morning. We have to get there early to go through security. Knowing me, the moment President Obama walks into the auditorium I'll burst into tears from being overwhelmed in his presence! I can't wait! I came home and posted pics on my Twitter feed (@hlm626) and relayed my jubiliant day. There's a lot more I could write about, but I just want to share my unabashed enthusiasm I felt today. I would advise all of you to participate in at least one of these if you are interested in making sure President Obama wins reelection so we don't end up in 1930's Europe. Thank for reading my words.  'Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment